Friday, January 27, 2006

Update - Undo your "DOH!"

On Wednesday I wrote about a file recovery program called Restoration. Well, I'm happy to announce that it works very well. I was surprised by how quickly the file search ran on a not-so-fast machine. I was able to recover a ton of files from an old laptop I had sitting around. I wasn't able to recover everything though. Once a given cluster on the hard disk is overwritten with other data, there isn't a lot you can do about it. The interface is nothing special, but is simple and functional. There is an option to completely erase (or more probably overwrite) the files it finds, which is nice if you don't want anyone snooping around. Another nice feature is that there is no installer for Restoration -- you just extract the zipped program and it's ready to run without leaving a footprint in your system. This is a definite keeper.

No comments: