Thursday, May 25, 2006

Nike and Apple sitting in a tree . . .


. . . K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes an unholy union of sneaker and omnipresent music player.

This post was nearly entitled "Resistance is Futile - Part 5" but when I really thought about it, this can't be an integral part of The Master Plan, so I'll let it slide. It's gotten to the point where Apple news is like a train wreck to me - - I don't want to look (or post), but it's impossible to avert my gaze from the carnage. I can imagine the initial meeting between the two giants:

Who can resist the seductive siren call of the iPod in heat? Certainly not the aggressive Nike bull as he noses over her scent markings? His curiosity perked, the Nike approaches slowly, warily observing the iPod's flashing lights and glossy white underbelly. He's lured in by the faint sound of Gorillaz emanating from her tentacles. Something on the edge of the Nike's subconscious tells him to run, but he cannot break free of the enchantment. His mind swims with visions of his own sporty silhouette dancing against a stark white background. She's nearly within reach - euphoria descends upon him. "Now we can be one", he thinks. But just as he reaches her, the iPod pivots on the spot and blinds the confused Nike bull with her chrome-finished backside. Dazed, the Nike stumbles a bit before feeling the searing pain of a sensor/transmitter being thrust into his sole. "Now we can be one", thinks the iPod. "Forever..."

Um, I think I missed a dose of my meds again. Sorry about that. What I meant to say was that Nike and Apple have teamed up to give exercise freaks (read: anyone who runs without the benefit of being chased) something to get excited about. By placing the new iPod Sports Kit transmitter into certain Nike shoes, the wearer can track various time and distance metrics right on his iPod. You can even program in predetermined distances and a voice prompt will keep you informed of your progress. All of this while enjoying your own personal soundtrack. After the endorphins wear off you can synch up to your home computer and download your workout data. If you follow the link below, you can watch a short video showing off the system. Perhaps more exercise and less Discovery Channel for me, eh?

Nike iPod sports kit = Nike Plus - New Launches

1 comment:

frenchie said...

Are the shoelaces USB 2.0 compatible?