Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Availabot

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong here. I'm always looking for that great idea that's going to catapult me to entrepreneurial rock star status. But every time I go to the well, I just pull up a bucket full of sand. What do the guys over at Availabot have that I don't, aside from talent, creativity, and a clue?

You see, they've created a presence indicating bot for your instant messaging software by forcibly mating a LEGO man to that frightening skeleton thing from the "Da Da Da" VW commercials. These sorts of genetic figurine experiments are patently unethical and, as a result, I want one immediately. Sure, I usually hide from my online buddies like they've got something contagious, but I could be coaxed out of retirement just to see my new little friend stand at attention whenever crazylegs42 signs on. And I'll get a kick out of seeing him fall lifelessly onto my desk with that "I'm in a glass case of emotion" look in his eyes as soon as 'legs signs off. But I haven't even gotten to the best part yet. Each Availabot is custom designed:

"Availabot stores the IM details of the friend it represents in the puppet itself. That means you can buy a few, load them with your own IM screenname and service, and give them out like business cards to your closest contacts. Each Availabot is customised and thatÂ’s what we really love about it. To make the puppets, we use a combination of standard body-parts and rapid-form prototyping. This means that the head -– and any other parts of the puppet -– can be made to look just like you."
Good stuff.

Availabot [Via Engadget]

No comments: