Wednesday, August 02, 2006

We don't need no stinkin' nav system

Who needs to drop a few grand on an in-car navigation system? Ok, I do. Thanks to poor breeding and a tainted water supply, I was not born with the genetic code used to express the "recognize where the hell I am" gene.

One way to find my way around without needing to look down at a map (looking down always ends in tears, questions, and hastily packed moving vans) is to use this lifehack from our friends at Lifehacker. Just find a map highlighting your intended route, create a mirror image of the picture, and place the printout on your dashboard. Now you've got a fancy-smancy "head-up display" like them there rich folks is got. You can look right through it while driving, and only have to shift your focus a little to check your map.

The commenters over at Lifehacker had three good points:
1) Probably won't work a night.
2) Need to use a large map for best effect.
3) Another option is printing turn-by-turn text directions in large print.

Give it a try.

Go ahead, I'll wait right here for you to get back.

DIY HUD in action - Lifehacker

1 comment:

frenchie said...

I think I might try doing the same thing, but with a book. Maybe get some reading in on my way home...